Saturday Morning my husband and I were to meet at the "Rebuilders Center" in Portland in hopes of finding some lumber or something "already fabricated" that we could alter to make our Chicken House/Nesting Boxes. http://www.rebuildingcenter.org/ Before I could even get a chance to park my truck, J was waiting near the front entrance with a big grin on his face...he had already found something that would work!
A $25.00 vintage kitchen cupboard was about to become a home and nesting place for a few good hens. With a little trimming here and there, a few hinges, some legs, and a new top, the cupboard began it's transformation. This will fit nicely into the fenced off portion of the backyard which is partially covered. We brought it home and went right to work on it. Getting the 4 x 4 posts bolted on for the legs was first on the list. (check out the groovey shelf paper...it was removed!)
J made sure that they were very stout!
We screwed on some wheels so that the "Chicken Cabinet" could be moved for easy cleaning.
Next we added a hinged top for easy access to clean, along with the access from the front doors. The hinged top will also act as ventilation in the summer as it can be popped up. We then cut a portion of the middle shelf out so that the hens could access the "top nesting bunk", chicken bunk beds!
It seemed logical to have the access door on the end where there was already an opening. We closed it up except for a hole large enough for them to get in and out via a ramp.
Starting to look real cozy!
Hmmmm! Bunkbeds! Brings back old memories :) Three of my sisters and I all slept in one bedroom for the longest time on two sets of bunkbeds. Those that got the bottom would always push up through the top mattress with their feet to irritate the top dwellers. Great times!
These old dresser drawers were heading to the dump, so we R & R'd them!
Next on the agenda is a little outdoor paint and a "roosting" bar. Stay tuned, more pictures to come!